Tuesday, May 29, 2012
Two years ago I posted about stacking tiered cakes. At that time I was using dowel rods for support. No doubt they worked great, but I've found something better. It's far from an earth shattering discovery. Cake decorators all over have been doing the same thing. I'm posting this because I finally tried it and I love it, and thought you might like to try it too.
two cakes that traveled in the car for 6 hours with no problems.
As I see it, these are the benefits of straws for support:
1. They are just as strong as dowel rods.
2. They are easy to cut with scissors.
3. They are guaranteed food safe.
4. They come in bright colors so the server has no difficulty locating them for removal.
5. They are inexpensive.
6. They are readily available for purchase.
Do any of you use straws for support already? Can you think of any more advantages that I should add to my list?
If you don't use straws for support, I hope you'll give it a try. I think you'll really like it!